Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Ready, Set, Goal!


I have been so busy with the family lately, I haven't taken much time for myself. I started noticing my frustration increasing and I decided it's time to get organized and set some goals. I wanted to start with things that would have the greatest reward, making me feel the most accomplished and refreshed.
For me, that would be to get moving again. I need to lose a little weight and get my diabetes under better control. I always notice a difference right away when I stay on track with physical activity and a low sugar diet. I am a very visual person so I will need more than self discipline for this.

I thought I would start by making some goal charts. With all the cool apps out there to create graphics, this part was easy. The hard part was posting it in my house where people will see it. I filled out my current weight and what my goal is. I made a list of things I needed to do to achieve those goals too. Every month I would love to increase my activity, challenge myself with some realistic goals that I should already be doing! I have a calendar that I will use to make a schedule for things like working out, meal plans, weigh ins and whatever else I need to have in my face for motivation.


I should mention that I also printed out some pictures that really point out just how much my body has changed. I'm not saying that I'm going to be the next American Ninja Warrior, but I would love to see a good change in how I feel. It's about much more than smaller jeans, although shopping for new clothes is a good incentive. It's so important for me to set a good example for my kids. I want them to see that you can set goals and reach them, even with an unexpected challenge like diabetes. Something I need to include is just to remember that I deserve to take a few minutes for myself. I will be a much better mom, wife and person in general if I take the time to do something I want or need to do- like breathe and drink water!

I'm still working on getting the kinks out as far as scheduling work outs, but for now I am at least going to get walking/jogging. The kids are portable, babies have a stroller and the dog would probably even benefit from a daily stroll. I have other goals too for my mental health and just taking that much needed "me" time but we will save that for another post. Let's just say that getting my blog post out today was a big step. With coffee next to me, the baby napping and other kids entertaining themselves (gasp!! they aren't being entertained by me!?), I am at the computer taking time for something I enjoy. You know what, I feel a bit better about the day already.

I hope I can inspire you to make time for whatever it is that you need to do to feel good! I'm looking forward to updating you all with some positive changes along the way.

2 comments:

  1. Great goals! I'm right behind you in setting some goals for myself to be active again :) thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy that I can inspire you! We could use a little extra push from people around us:)

    ReplyDelete