Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Getting Crafty: A DIY Picture Frame.

I would to think I am a pretty crafty person, in a good way! I love to be creative. Homemade gifts are one of my favorite things to do. It allows me to put some extra thought into what I'm giving. Picture frames are one of the best ways to get personal and customize a gift for a special occasion. My latest project was so fun, and special. My best friend for almost 30 years just had her second baby, a sweet little boy. A few of her close friends and sister had a nice lunch right before he arrived to celebrate. I knew I wanted to get cute clothes for him and something a bit more personal for her. This frame was perfect, and it only took a few minutes to create. Let me show you how I managed to get this done with my kids running around...



I started with a plain wood frame from a craft store, some loose scrapbook paper and wooden tags. The other supplies were things I had in my craft cabinet at home- brown craft paint, white craft paint, craft glue, small kids paint brush, old toothbrush, old lint free towel and of course water and something to lay it on.


I removed the plastic covers for the pictures and got to work. The first step was easy, brush the brown paint on and let it dry for a few minutes.


I mixed equal parts water and white paint. I lightly brushed it on, not covering all of the surface. This gives the frame a whitewash look.


Once the paint was almost dry, I took my towel and rubbed some areas where the white was a bit heavy. After that is when the toothbrush come in handy. Just lightly scrape the areas you want to look a little weathered, like the corners. While everything dried I painted the wooden tags to get them ready for the paper detail.


I printed a cute little quote on the scrapbook paper for the center and used the leftover pieces to glue in the center of the tags. These are meant for her to personalize later with the boy's names and birthdays.

Once the frame dried completely I took a dry brush with a tiny amount of the brown just to go over a few spots that look too chalky. The tags were glued on and the plastic was put back in place. It's that simple!

The frame turned out great, everybody loved it! I loved that I could give her something personal, something I could create during the middle of the day with my kids running wild. I can't wait to see it with pictures in place!

I hope you enjoyed this craft! Post pictures in the comments when you make one for yourself or give as a gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment