Thursday, May 5, 2016

My Lipstick Review

So we all have a guilty pleasure obsession we might not be proud of. What I'm about to show you isn't one of them...


While it is in fact a huge guilty pleasure for me, I'm not ashamed of it. I actually take a lot of pride in it! My love for lipstick is real, and fighting the urge to add to my collection (daily) is a struggle. It's a battle I often lose, but is really a loss here... I think we all know the answer.

I have been on a search for THE lipstick tower that is perfect for me. I didn't want to spend too much because it would take away from my new lipstick budget. Well, recently my husband found one that he knew I would just have to have. He is a bargain shopper, he manages to get great stuff for a great deal. Maybe I should dedicate a post on he does it... This new tower is amazing, it holds 64 tubes! 64... I know, how can one person have that many, right? I told you I was proud of my collection, I didn't say I had it under control.


I have always been a bit shy in a lot of areas of my life, lipstick choice not being one of them. I love loud, bold colors if I can pull them off. Typically over the years I always went for pinks, but for about 2 years I have branched out to reds. I'm addicted, I get a rush when I find the perfect shade. I have about 3 perfect ones... I think every woman needs a great red lipstick. Even if she doesn't really wear make up a lot, red is a power color. Wear that s*** around the house for a mood boost, when you need a little extra "kick ass" in your day. I can do anything with the right shade, confidence is key! I'm not gonna lie, some days just a trip to Costco deserves some red lip action.

My list doesn't stop at red or pink, I'm sucker for anything that catches my eye. Coral, berry, nude, you name it and I'll buy it! I have quite a few seasonal faves that get me excited when it's time to pack away boots for sandals, or tank tops for sweaters. I'll stop here just to confess that I don't always follow the rules when it comes to "seasonal color" though. Some of my favorites are just too good to be stashed in a drawer! I think it's a good time to give all of you lipstick lovers what you came for, a list of a few that I can't live without!

Let's start with some of the shades of red I have...



Ruby Woo by MAC. This is a bright, matte finish, blue based red. I love to wear this for a date night, I feel young and confident in this one. It makes your teeth look brighter too because of the blue base. I alway suse a liner with this one. It can be pretty drying because it's matte so I like to use a gloss to freshen it up. MAC Viva Glam Rihanna Lipglass is a great choice.

left: with gloss, right: without

Dance With Me by MAC. I got this one for my birthday this year. I honestly went in for a nude shade in their Retro Matte Liquid collection, I walked out with my new life changing red. This color is deep and rich and should be worn with extreme confidence, like you own the place! It will stay on through the day and well into your night. I would recommend using a liner or primer around your lips to prevent bleeding while eating or after a few hours on. I will be keeping this one in my rotation all year!


Ohhh by Too Faced. This is one of the newer reds that I welcomed into my family. It quickly took over the number one spot on my red list. This one is not a matte finish, it is silky and feels great on my lips. I was worried that with the texture it would fade quickly, not a chance! I really feel like anybody could wear this. I have very fare skin and this color doesn't make me look clownish. Again, as with most reds this definitely needs a liner or primer. It will creep into fine lines, if your'e lucky enough to have them like me. The packaging is also pretty, I'm a sucker for fun packaging!



How about jumping over to the wine/berry family...



Plumful by MAC. This color is perfect to start with if your'e looking for your first wine shade. I love the formula, and that it's not too deep. I was looking for a nice fall color that wasn't too rich so I could wear it all day. I fell in love before I even paid for my lipstick haul that day! It's my go-to "transition into fall color."


Desire by MAC. I was really craving an intense wine/berry color of some sort when I came across this gem. Desire is a lustre finish, in a deep burgundy hue. I love this lipstick and I have worn it many times just out and about with the family. You can layer it for a more intense color or just lightly swipe it on. I also bought a liner to go with it because this one is also a bleeder. This shade has actually brought many compliments too, which was great because I bought it right after having our fifth baby!


Cabana Boy by TARTE. It is in their "Rainforest of the Sea" collection. (which is my new addiction all in itself) This is actually considered a mauve, but I'm including in this list since I don't have another spot. This one would deserve a category of it's own for sure! This is my newest purchase and I'm not sure how I ever survived without it. My husband always compliments my look when I have this on. I love the soft feel of it, even though it is a matte finish. My lips actually feel better after wearing this one. TARTE really knew what they were doing with this collection. The tube is beautiful too!



Everybody loves a good pink!


So I have really drifted away from the pink family, I have mild rosacea so my pink cheeks tend take over. I do have quite a few in my collection that I refuse to let go of.

Sunny Seoul by MAC. This color just screams summer! It's a great pink, bright but not deep. I like this one for sunny days when I want a pop of color and not much else on my face.


All Fired Up by MAC. Holy matte lips! This shade is not for the weak, it's a pretty intense matte fuchsia/pink. The formula is pretty drying but the staying power is real. I would also make sure to watch the fine lines around your lips with this one and carry a balm if you don't like how it feels. I love that I can layer this one or dab it on for a toned down look.

Jean Queen by Lipstick Queen. This is a good everyday color to have. I keep it in my diaper bag so I can freshen up whatever Mom look I have going on. That doesn't mean it's boring! I just like that it will go with whatever I have on and is not too bold for a day running kid errands. The formula is very buttery and smooth. The staying power is not what I hoped for but it's so pretty, I don't really mind.


There's so many more colors to talk about, but I think I will save those for part two of my lipstick review! I hope you found this post useful and had as much fun reading it as I did writing it! What are some of your favorite lip colors? I'd love to hear about them and try them for myself!



No comments:

Post a Comment