Thursday, June 30, 2016

Simple Side Dish

I love cooking and coming up with new recipes to add to the menu, but now that summer is here I find myself wanting to make an easy no fuss dinner. Probably because by the time dinner rolls around I'm wore out from keeping the kids busy all day. I'm gonna be honest, I'm not the most organized when it comes to meal planning in the summer either! That's why I love having a simple go to recipe that my family actually enjoys. I never really thought this rice was a big deal until I married my husband. It's something I started making to compliment all of my taco and burrito cravings at 18 years old. Since then I have added a few ingredients here and there depending on how fancy I'm feeling for dinner.

Last night was one of those nights that I wanted something good, but fast. I went with some chicken and black bean burritos, and of course this easy rice side dish. The kids always know when a Mexican dish is on it's way when they smell the rice getting "toasty" in the pot. My daughter also gets excited because there's not much left to clean up after since they empty the bowl!


The essentials are pretty minimal to make this dish, which my kids call "taco rice." The cook time is about 30 minutes, but the best part is once you pop the lid on you don't have to do anything else until it's done! Seriously, just let it cook while you set the table and grab a drink!


This amount feeds my family of 7 (until the babies eat more!)

1 cup of white rice
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp of tomato bullion
2 cups of water

Optional add ins: corn, peppers, onions, beans, salsa.
*When adding something like salsa be sure to include the amount with the liquid measurement.


I started adding corn after my husband had rice at a restaurant that did theirs this way, he loved it! The kids seem to enjoy it more too so that's a plus! When I feel fancy I throw in black beans and onions too. When adding the veggies always add them first to the warm oil before the rice. Here's how I did this bowl...


Heat the oil over medium/high heat
Add 1 cup of corn, stir.
Once the corn is hot and lightly sizzling add your rice.
Heat until it smells toasty, add bullion, stir.
Add the water and bring to a boil.
Turn heat to low/simmer and cover with a lid.
Cook for 30 minutes, turn heat off. If you have a minute to let it steam go ahead. I do for about 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.

It couldn't be any easier! This is my most requested side dish around here. Even when guests say they don't usually eat rice, they go back for more! I hope that you give this a try and enjoy it! My family is already asking when we can have the burritos again now too, I may have to post that recipe soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment