Thursday, June 23, 2016

Our Garden Update


I wrote about our new greenhouse not too long ago and was hoping for a big update by now. I really wanted to show all of you some major veggies and awesome recipes that I have planned. It turns out, even gardening doesn't go as planned! Since this is a blog about my crazy life though I thought it was a safe place to share the real life stuff that isn't always Instagram perfect... Even though I'm a big fan of that too!

Since we started the garden in a spot that turned out to be the shadiest part of our yard we had to relocate the whole greenhouse. That was the easy part! We noticed that our bell peppers are not loving life here on our wanna be farm. I think, after reading more about peppers, they were getting too much water. I also learned that the soil may not be right for them. The first few started out strong but didn't make it, so we picked them and have new ones coming up now. I'm hoping we get the hang of these delicious veggies soon. I'd love to stock my freezer up for fajitas!

The jalapenos seem to be doing great! We were able to pick quite a few off and use them for spicy chicken tacos. My little guy was so excited to go pick them, although he didn't want to eat them of course. I have a feeling we will have a lot of these peppers for the summer. I do wish they were a little hotter though, I like a little heat sometimes!


I was most excited about the tomatoes since I am always eating them on salads and making fresh sauces. We had to replace one of the plants because it didn't like being replanted. The greenhouse was definitely built to grow tomatoes! The cherry tomatoes are coming in fast now that we moved them. We have some pretty big beef steak tomatoes coming up now too! I can't wait to slice them up and put them on burgers! I'm sure I will have some good recipes to share with all of you soon.


The basil is ready to be put to good use soon too, it smells amazing when you unlock the door to head in. My onions are getting tall and I hope they exactly what I'm planning for. I love cooking with onions, I also chop and freeze them for quick recipe add ins for rice or sauce. Garlic is also growing out there, I'm eager to pick that! According to my research, it's not ready yet. Garlic is another one of those things I love to have on hand and I find that it freezes well for later use.


Even though I'm not running my own produce stand from my driveway I am enjoying the attempt at my mini produce shop! The kids think it's pretty cool when I bring in a handful of fresh ingredients to add in a salad or toss into pasta. We are calling this our practice run and hoping that next year is better! It's still early, so who knows what might grow out there! I'm on my way out now to check everything out!

What kind of things grow best for you? I'd love to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment