Tuesday, August 30, 2016

My Kids Hate Me this Week!

Here we go again... BACK TO SCHOOL PREP WEEK!!! If I seem excited, it's because I am! We have had a long summer, I kept the kids as busy and as entertained as I could this year. Although, the texts to their friends will say otherwise. It really doesn't matter now though, because this is the week they will undoubtedly hate me. Every single year, this is the week they will hate me.

I'm actually used to it and it's become like a tradition around here. My husband just loves to sit back and watch it all happen too. It's like he feels like for this one week I've joined his side. The side of him that loves to tease and stir their pot. As much as I want to soak up every last minute of the summer nights where my kids argue, roll their eyes, complain about how boredom has ruined their lives and watch them just be kids, I am ready to get my routine back too!

So I like to call this prep week. We have been off of our routine for a few months now, staying up late being the biggest change. It's time to get back to the daily grind. I start sending my kids to bed at the school year bedtime about a week before they go back. Yup, a whole week. This includes my daughter who will be in high school this year. It really makes them mad. Guess what? I don't care! I feel like they need to slowly get back into a normal routine and they'll need sleep for that. They don't agree, at all. This also gives me time to unwind and start preparing for a busy first week back. It's always a hectic time. Even after all of the lists, shopping, meetings, it's likely that we forgot something. It's also pretty safe to say that with two babies still at home I will need some extra time to adjust having less hands to help.


Chore charts... That has "we hate our mom" written all over it! I like to get a system together for smoother evenings and that means everybody has chores. Which means everybody gets an attitude, argues, and of course they all at some point tell me how unfair life is. Bring it on, kids! This is why we have a week of prep, I'm ready. They don't understand yet that families of our size have a lot of things on a to do list, and that I'm not their personal slave just because they go to school all day now. I do keep it simple because I know they have homework and need time to unwind and just be kids. There's nothing wrong with having them get trash out or load the dishwasher though.


It seems like they do like the menu planning, for different reasons. I post the menu on Monday afternoon, they check it as soon as they hit the door. That gives the picky guy plenty of time to tell me how he won't be eating or fake a stomachache. It gives my oldest daughter numerous occasions to repeat herself about how excited she is for a certain meal. She loves food, and she's a swimmer now so she's always hungry. The toddler just asks because everyone else does, and enjoys shopping for ingredients. All jokes aside, the menu planning is sometimes what saves me from the hate feel about the other stuff. We all know food is a great negotiating tool with kids... or me. I can be bought with the right meal.

One more reason for the dirty looks, clothes. This is becoming a new issue. We like to keep them in check about how they leave the house. My daughter hates this the most, she's developing her own style and it's not always given enough thought. I won't embarrass her with the details, but she hates us a few times a week for this alone. My middle son is just starting middle school and he is the opposite most of the time. He can be a bit more "relaxed" in the way he wants to walk out the door. He also hates us often for not letting him grab whatever is on the floor of his closet resembling his idea of clean clothes. I do remember being their age and having my way of expressing myself, so I try to let them do it their way. In an appropriate way.

As much as they hate me multiple times this week, and often through the school year, I know it's just the way this goes. This crazy journey we call parenthood, raising kids, we are all learning together over here. They love me at the end of the day and I know the day will come when they tell me they always have. So I'll continue prep week, making charts and rules that get me plenty of eye rolls. They will continue to grow, learn and one day maybe even have kids of their own to annoy. That's when I will get to sit back and enjoy a whole new way to stir their pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment