Thursday, June 2, 2016

Summer Break is Coming

It's almost that time of year again. The school year is coming to an end and kids everywhere can't wait to empty their lockers. Which means parents everywhere might be starting to panic a little! I know I am!

I used to be so organized in my planning. I would start my shopping by now for activities, lunches and fun summer themed parties. It seems that adding two more babies threw me off of my game a little bit. Not to mention, the original crew of kids are getting older and harder to entertain! Luckily though, the two bigger ones love to play with the babies and see them experience the things they used to love. They are also very helpful with Thomas, he is my child with some special needs.


I started going through some old pictures recently of many summers ago, we sure had fun! We love to vacation in Florida and have done that for a few years.


This year with buying a house we decided that it would be best to have a little "stay-cation" and find stuff to do around here. Or maybe our budget after remodeling decided for us... either way, here we are!

With all the stressful weeks lately I thought it would be helpful to try out that organization and planning thing again. I haven't quite made an official list yet, but I'm sure it'll come to me soon. I do know that we will take advantage of our annual Detroit Zoo membership. I have actually gone twice already! It's a great way to get out for a full day, and since we don't pay for each visit we save money! I am hoping to catch one of the evening events with the kids during the summer concert series this year too.


There are quite a few things near us that are on my list of outings. I think we should be able to pull a few of them off! Not everything is easy to do with my husband working so late and far and my oldest being in a wheelchair. Thomas does attend school for half of the summer, that's helpful for him! He does best with a consistent routine, so do I honestly! That's why I just feel like being prepared with a few ideas could help for those days that we need an adventure! Now, after sharing my ideas with you I might be held accountable to get moving!

In our area we have some great Splash Pads. It's like a mini water park, without the rides. The kids love to run around, and I love that they burn some energy. The one I like is located in a local park so it's free to use!


We like to the visit the 4h fair. It's a lot of fun to see the farm animals, homemade crafts and of course eat some carnival food! It's the only time I get to pet baby goats! The kids like to join in on some fun eating contests too!


We also live near a lake so that will be put to good use, I already bought a picnic basket! The village here puts on a 4th of July event. I hear it's a big deal! We won't even have to leave our house!

The last few summers we didn't have much of a yard so we didn't really entertain much. This year I'd like to have some fun in our new yard with family and friends! Some of my nephews already came to play ball with my kids. I love seeing those older boys have fun with the younger group. We could definitely use some more days like that!

A state park is also on my list. It's not usually a part of our summer agenda, but it should be! I would love to go for a day to walk on a nature trail, have a picnic and just let the kids run around. We could even take the dog!


So, there it is! Just a few ideas I'd like to make time for this summer. Of course I have some little activities to do at home like crafts and projects with the supplies we have. My husband thinks I save too many containers and useless stuff, but I have plans! He sees junk and I see art and free fun for the big imaginations our little ones have! I plan to get creative this summer so that I don't let the chaos get the best of me!

What about you? Will you be traveling or keeping busy at home? I'd love to hear about how you like to have summer fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment